Oregon set a 2020 greenhouse gas reduction goal that is almost 30% below today’s levels. However, Oregon is substantially behind in meeting this goal, and the biggest problem is our transportation sector. If we don’t make a strong—and fast—effort to electrify our transportation system, we’ll never reach our goals.
Electric vehicles dramatically reduce the environmental impacts of driving and are cheaper to operate. However, they have higher up-front purchase costs and represent just over 1% of new cars sold in Oregon. A short-term investment is needed to encourage the market and move our state down the path toward the long-term benefits of electric vehicles.
The solution? HB 2704
HB 2704, sponsored by Representative Ken Helm, establishes the following purchase rebates for electric vehicles:
- $1,500 to $2,500 for electric cars, depending on their battery size
- $250,000 for electric transit buses
- $750 for zero-emission motorcycles and low speed electric vehicles
The passage of HB 2704 is needed to ensure transportation GHG emissions are brought under control and to jump start the EV market, equitably. Studies show that lowering the upfront cost is the best way to increase EV sales and make them affordable for drivers at lower income levels.
Check out key facts about the benefits and design of HB 2704 to get the full story on why this measure is good for Oregon’s economy, environment, and families!
To read full text of the measure and stay current on its progress, visit the Oregon State Legislature’s bill tracker.
Take Action to Show Your Support
Your voice matters!
- Take the Clean Vehicle Rebate Pledge. By adding your name, you’re joining Oregonians across the state in supporting this measure.
- Contact your legislator. Call or write your legislator to state why you are in favor of the bill and encourage them to vote “yes” on HB 2704. Use Oregon’s Find Your Legislator tool to see who represents you and how to get in touch.
- Share on social media. Share your support of electric vehicles and the measure on Twitter and Facebook using the hashtags #HB2704 and #CleanCars4OR.
- Sign up for our monthly newsletter. Stay in the loop on the measure as well as Oregon electric vehicle news by joining our newsletter list. We’ll be sharing updates on the bill’s progress and future opportunities to express your support.
Power Lane (Oregon Business) – 4/4/17
Want to learn more or get involved? Contact Jeanette Shaw, Director of Government Relations